Ten fingers. Ten toes. One decade. Numbers 1-10 (a set of lessons in the primary). The Ten
Commandments (in both Christianity and Buddhism). The Decalogue (by Dr. Maria Montessori). The decimal number system. The Pythagorean symbol of perfection or completeness (10 symbolized all possible spaces). Signified by tin, aluminum, diamonds, daffodils, silver, and blue.
As we wrap up these final few days of OakHaven’s 10th anniversary year, I can’t help but reflect on the significance of so many people working together to serve humanity for an entire decade. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only about 35% (a little over a third) of businesses make it to their 10th year. Go OakHaven!!!
There is really no question as to how we got here, or why we will continue to thrive for many more decades to come. In the spirit of celebrating 10 years, here are ten reasons why OakHaven is so successful:
1. We began with the end in mind. Our mission, vision, and values have always boiled down to a basic concept - helping each child become his/her very best self in order to make the world a better place. Not in a superficial, “nice thing to say” sense, but in a real and attainable way. We implement a scientific approach to education as an aid to life, and there is no question that we are making a difference on this planet. Everyone who’s ever been a part of this community has supported this mission.
2. (AMI) Montessori works. For 112 years, Montessori children around the world have learned to think for themselves, problem solve, and live interdependently with one another. This creates adults who are “good at life and good at doing things” (Dr. Steven Hughes).
3. Strong community. The students, parents, staff, and countless other relatives and friends are what makes OakHaven the extraordinary place it is. We all work together and are better people for what we give and receive here.
4. Engaged students. From the youngest 2-year-old to the 6th-grade graduates, each child here works hard, has fun, and gives back. Students take responsibility for their own learning and get to lead their younger friends towards doing the same.
5. Involved parents. OakHaven has always had an incredible group of parents who support their children’s educations and the school as a whole in countless ways. When we all work together, it results in student engagement and success.
6. Dedicated teaching staff. The classroom guides and assistants pour their whole hearts into the students each and every day. They are fully committed to each child’s success.
7. Skilled administrative faculty. It takes a great deal of “behind the scenes” skill and talent to keep things running smoothly in any business. The admin team works tirelessly to make OakHaven a great place for everyone and create overall school success.
8. Commitment to growth. Everyone here is committed to continually /learning and growing on a personal and professional level. Parent education evenings and events are well attended. OMS staff regularly participates in a wide variety of professional development and continuing education opportunities. When adults live and model lifelong learning, children see and benefit from its value.
9. Warm and welcoming environment. Our buildings and grounds have been very intentionally designed and maintained to make this a place that feels like home to the children. Since we all love being here, it’s easy to welcome visitors and new friends into our community. Together, we create a safe and comfortable place for students to learn and grow.
10. Service. OMS staff, parents, and children participate in a wide variety of service projects and opportunities all year long. We are grateful to be able to share our blessings with those who are in need.
So as I look back, I am overwhelmed with appreciation for all that I’ve had the opportunity to give and receive over the last ten years. I want to acknowledge and appreciate each and every one of your contributions to this incredible place. Everything you are and everything you do is making a difference. Together, we’re creating a better world.
On behalf of the entire OakHaven staff and student body, who may or may not be able to say it yet, THANK YOU FOR AN EXTRAORDINARY YEAR.
Wishing you a terrific summer, filled with much learning and joy!